Latest Curriculum Framework: Four Big Ideas & Seven Science Practices
New coursework, lab investigations and exam will be centered on “Big Ideas” covering key concepts and content, and “Science Practices” that build student inquiry skills.Four Big Ideas:
Seven Science Practices:
- Evolution is the driving force for both diversity and unity of biological life.
- Biological systems use energy and molecular building blocks to grow, reproduce and maintain homeostasis.
- Living systems receive, transmit, and respond to information which is essential to life.
- All biological systems interact. Every interaction possesses complex properties.
- Use representations and models to communicate and solve scientific problems.
- Use mathematics as appropriate.
- Formulate questions to extend thinking or guide investigations.
- Plan and execute data collection strategies as appropriate to address a question.
- Analyze data to evaluate evidence.
- Work with scientific explanations and theories.
- Generalize or relate knowledge within and across domains.
To better prepare students for college and real world success.