Perform an oscillating redox reaction with hydrogen peroxide, potassium iodide, and potassium permanganate.
- Understand and demonstrate oscillating redox reactions
- Aligned to NGSS practices
- Cross cutting concepts: patterns
- Disciplinary core ideas: PS1.A, PS1.B
- Learn engineering practices: analyzing and interpreting data
For this demonstration, add hydrogen peroxide to a colorless solution of potassium iodide to produce a red color, or you can add the hydrogen peroxide to a purple solution of potassium permanganate to create a colorless solution.
Caution: WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including strong inorganic acid mists containing sulfuric acid, which are known to the state of California to cause cancer. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov