Observe the reaction of an amplolyte with both an acid and a base.
- Understand and demonstrate ampholyte compounds
- Aligned to NGSS practices
- Cross cutting concepts: patterns
- Disciplinary core ideas: PS1.A, PS1.B
- Learn engineering practices: analyzing and interpreting data
Ampholytes are compounds which react with both acids and bases. When zinc chloride is reacted with sodium hydroxide the soluble zincate ion is formed. When zinc hydroxide is reacted with hydrochloric acid, the soluble zinc chloride and water are formed.