Learn about the 3 different categories of elements: metals, metalloids, and nonmetals.
- Understand and classify several elements as metal, metalloid, or nonmental.
- Aligned to NGSS practices
- Performance expectations MS-PS1-2, HS-PS1-1, HS-PS1-2
- Disciplinary core ideas PS1.A, PS1.B
- Cross cutting concepts include "Patterns"
- Analyzing and interpreting data, developing and using models
During the nineteenth century, a Russian chemist name Dmitri Mendeleev began constructing a table of the elements. The result, called the Periodic Table of the Elements, is an organized classification of chemical elements based on certain properties of each element in relation to other elements. In this lab students will learn about three different categories of elements: metals, nonmetals, and metalloids. They will examine the physical properties of several elements and test their chemical reactivity, then use their results to classify each of the tested elements as either metal, nonmetal, or metalloid. Kit contains an Instruction Manual and enough materials for 2 groups of students.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.