Celestron’s EclipSmart Travel Solar Scope 50 is a dedicated white-light solar telescope for the observer on the go. It’s lightweight, compact, and easy to transport—perfect for viewing the solar photosphere and sunspots. At the heart of this 50mm refractor style solar scope, you’ll find Celestron’s Solar Safe, ISO-compliant, full-aperture glass filter material, which ensures the safest view of any solar event. The EclipSmart Travel Solar Scope 50 offers much higher magnifications for viewing sunspots or planetary transits than you would get using solar eclipse glasses or binoculars.
- 50 mm solar telescope with fully coated glass optics delivers sharp, detailed views of eclipses, sunspots, transits, and more
- Certified to comply with the ISO 12312-2 international safety standard for filters for direct viewing of the Sun
- Use the solar telescope with peace of mind, knowing the permanently attached filter will not be knocked off or accidentally removed
- Integrated Solar Safe finderscope quickly and easily centers the solar disk in the telescope’s eyepiece without looking at or near the Sun
- Pan and tilt just like a photographic tripod to make precise adjustments to the telescope’s position
- Telescope includes a 20 mm eyepiece, a hybrid star diagonal, an integrated solar safe finderscope, and travel backpack to carry it all
The telescope comes complete with everything needed, and makes it easy to share the Sun as well as partial and total solar eclipses with the whole family. EclipSmart solar products feature Solar Safe filter technology, the ultimate protection from harmful solar radiation, including IR and UV light, plus 99.999% of visible light. Celestron Solar Safe filter technology is guaranteed safe for direct observation of the Sun and has been independently tested by SAI Global Assurance Services.
Important safety note: inspect the filter before every use. Do not use and discard if damaged, scratched, or separated from the frame in any way.
Navigate the sky with a pan handle Alt-Az control with clutch for smooth and accurate pointing. Move the clutch in an up/down, left/right fashion to track the Sun in the eyepiece as it appears to drift across the daytime sky. The EclipSmart Travel Solar Scope 50 comes with one eyepiece (20mm), a hybrid star diagonal for a more comfortable viewing angle, a permanently attached solar finderscope, and a travel backpack. The telescope also comes with a 100% safe solar finderscope that allows alignment without looking directly at the Sun. The finderscope comes pre-installed and ready for use. Simply center the projection arm’s shadow on the bull’s eye, and the Sun will be positioned within the field of view in the telescope’s eyepiece. A custom backpack comes with the telescope to store optical tube, tripod, eyepieces, and accessories. Traveling with the EclipSmart scope is a breeze, as all components fit comfortably inside the backpack.
2023 - On October 14, 2023, the famed 'Ring of Fire' will encircle a darkened Moon during a spectacular annular eclipse. This phenomenon occurs when the Moon is too far from Earth to cover the Sun completely. The Sun's corona is not visible during an annular eclipse.
2024 - On April 8, 2024, the Moon will completely cover the Sun during an awe-inspiring Total Solar Eclipse. Observers within the path of totality will witness the sun’s dazzling corona, the 'diamond ring' effect, and day turn to night.
Certifications: Solar Safe products conform to and meet the transmission requirements of ISO 12312-2, Filters for Direct Observation of the Sun, EN 1836:2005 + A1:2007 (E) for an E15 Filter for the Direct Observation of the Sun and AS/NZS 1338.1:2012, Filters for Eye Protectors.