This kit demonstrates the process of starch digestion.
- Lab Teaches Students to Recognize Breakdown of Starch into Glucose
- Four Activities in One Kit
- Pre and Post-Laboratory Assessments Included
- Estimated Lab Time: 30 to 40 minutes
- Material for 15 Setups
- Aligned to NGSS standards (MS/HS: PS1, PS2, LS1)
This lab uses four lab activities and the enzyme diastase of malt to explore the breakdown of starch into glucose. Students perform a starch test and observe the breakdown of starch into glucose to learn how concentration, temperature, and pH affect the overall reaction rate.
The kit contains a teacher’s guide, a student study guide, and material for 15 setups.
Ordering information: This kit includes starch solution, diastase, sodium hydroxide, hydrochloric acid, starch-indicator solution, glass vials, plastic pipettes, test tubes with caps, glucose test strips, sample cups, and spot plates.