Quantitative Determination of Carbon, Leybold Products
Chemistry Educational Materials
Applied Chemistry Learning Activities
Leybold Chemistry Experiments.
- Determine the composition of organic compounds
- Learn about quantitative analysis
- Analyze the proportion of carbon in a compound
- Determine the structure of organic compounds
- Learn an example of the application of a redox reaction
In experiment C220.127.116.11, the carbon content of an organic compound is determined quantitatively. In a combustion analysis, the substance is passed over glowing copper(II) oxide at approx. 800 to 900 °C. The carbon is converted to CO2 and the hydrogen is converted to H2O. The CO2 gas generated is collected in a gas syringe and the volume is measured.