Teach your students how biodiesel is made.
- Green chemistry in a real-life experimental setting
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance Expectations: MS-PS1-2, MS-PS1-3, HS-PS1-2
- Disciplinary Core Ideas: PS1.A, PS1.B
- Cross Cutting Concepts: Patterns, structure and function
- Engineering Practices: Analyzing and interpreting data; obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
In this activity, students will be performing a two-phase process to produce small batches of crude biodiesel. The crude biodiesel produced is of sufficient quality for use in the demonstration of the burning qualities of both biodiesel and vegetable oil. Included is an optional small-scale exercise where the students will use a washing procedure to experience the full process of producing biodiesel to meet quality levels necessary for use in vehicles. Kit contains enough materials for 15 groups of students.
Teacher's guide and student copymasters
Delivery information: Instructor's Manual and SDS included.